photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Doors are Windows into the Soul



I love doors. No, not The Doors. Not the band. I mean the thing you walk through as you enter your house. Whenever my husband and I travel, I always take tons of pictures of them. I don’t know what it is, but I love old, unique doors. Whether they are old, carved wooden doors or brownstone doors painted with high gloss paint, I love them so long as they have character. I feel like they have a story to tell, as if they have seen so many incredible things.

Our front door definitely would not have been my choice, but it was already on the house when we bought it. Yesterday I was thinking about my dream door. Depending on the house, it would either be made of weathered wood with ornate carvings or it would be one of those brownstone double doors, but I wasn’t sure if those could be converted into a single door. Well, as I was out shopping, I stopped by a European antique store near my home and lo and behold, their front door was a converted brownstone door. It is possible!

Paris and New York have their share of beautiful doors, but one of the best places for door spotting is the colonial Mexican town of San Miguel de Allende. It is an enclave for artists and American and European expats. The colonial architecture in San Miguel is stunning (more on this in a later post), so it is full of beautiful doors and whimsical door knockers.




We took these pictures during our trip to San Miguel in March of 2006.

































4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that appreciates a nice door. I've got my own collection of door and harware photos. It always makes me wonder who lives behind them.

Things That Inspire said...

I love doors too. I have SO many pictures of doors from Charleston, SC. Have you ever been there? It is a door lover's dream!

Unknown said...

No, I haven't been to Charleston, but I've heard it's beautiful. I hope to go there someday as my husband has business interests there (Circa Lighting).

Things That Inspire said...

It is amazing. Circa Lighting is amazing too....we have one here in Atlanta!